NOTAM Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NOTAM Forums

Pilot Forums

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I think its time

Go down 
+2
Dogcreek
Ken Macelmon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ken Macelmon
CHIEF CA OPS
CHIEF CA OPS
Ken Macelmon

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 7:03 pm

I think its time to arm the penetly part of vafs 5 ,We have had plenty of time to get ready for this ,When you arm it though jeff can you post a list of the peneltys so we have a record of them thanks , Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dogcreek
Council President
Council President
Dogcreek

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Sure.... and just so everyone gets the hang of it... We will do one at a time.

The first to be added will be "Landing Light Check." Off/On at 10K... I know several have been practicing including my self. After that the speeds below 10K

I will post the deductions in this thread and the "launch dates"

Mike is still working through the phantom "gear and flap" damage issue. I will check on that tonight as NLA is owed some money back on that.

Good idea Ken,

Thanks all!

Jeff
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogcreek.allwebco.com/index2.html
Rexbo
CHIEF QA ASSURANCE
CHIEF QA ASSURANCE
Rexbo

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Yeah, thanks Ken! Mad

I'll probably be the first to bust under the new rules, so I hope that we'll at least have +/- 500 feet on the lights and +20 kts. on the speed restriction!

We should ensure that ships with weak spoilers all throw to 60 degrees. I have already found a few that don't and some of mine only went to 20 or 30, so they were not very effective. Remember, slow down, then go down...

Better double check those aircraft.cfg files guys...time to tighten up!

Back to top Go down
Dogcreek
Council President
Council President
Dogcreek

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:57 am

Start Date:

Landing lights on/off at 10K Saturday the 10th....

500' grace... 9500-10,500

We can do it!!

Jeff rendeer
Back to top Go down
Ken Macelmon
CHIEF CA OPS
CHIEF CA OPS
Ken Macelmon

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 7:08 pm

sounds like a plan ,Makes for more of a challenge. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rexbo
CHIEF QA ASSURANCE
CHIEF QA ASSURANCE
Rexbo

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks for the 500' fudge boss... Smile
Back to top Go down
GrizzW
Captain
Captain
GrizzW

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Okay, now let's step it up a notch.   I think its time  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 4:58 pm

Turn on the speed penalty !!

Back to top Go down
Dogcreek
Council President
Council President
Dogcreek

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 pm

wait for it...wait for it.... wait for it....

OK!

Alt penalty goes on this Saturday.

Think

TOD - Top of descent planning
FAF - Final approach fix - Alt, speed, configured
Distance and turns to FAF - at 10K and in control "all the way" speed-wise
ATC clearance for speed restriction permissions (747 etc)
250 kts - 1000' ABOVE 10K
Descent calculations (FMC - or TOD and Desc Calculations)
Speed brakes (Rex did a nice post about this)

Get ready Freddy!

Jeff rendeer

Back to top Go down
Rexbo
CHIEF QA ASSURANCE
CHIEF QA ASSURANCE
Rexbo

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 5:50 pm

So, 250 KIAS by 11K? That is how it reads...just want to be sure Smile
Back to top Go down
GrizzW
Captain
Captain
GrizzW

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Speed penalty   I think its time  EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 7:01 pm

I believe it's 250 KIAS limit under 10,000 feet. There's a couple of exceptions. Think Jeff mentioned them earlier.

Regards,
Capt. Grizz
Back to top Go down
Dogcreek
Council President
Council President
Dogcreek

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Correct Rex and Grizz... While the FAA may not get too jumpy about the exact speed... VAFS is not forgiving once you breach 10K... You need to be all the way slowed down... or not passing through 255 at 10K on the ascent..

We will no doubt get used to it... I am checking on the grace and if it is 1000' we should be ok

Jeff rendeer
Back to top Go down
atc81
CHIEF ATC
CHIEF ATC
atc81

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Hopefully that restriction can be adjusted in VAFS5. Real world (FAA-wise) is reaching 10K on climb, we expect aircraft to accelerate while reducing rate of climb until calculated climb speed is reached and we usually descended aircraft to 10K, THEN slowed them to whatever approach speed was needed. If I had a guy starting to slow above 10K which also reduced rate of descent, I was not a happy camper and made sure the pilot realized what problems that practice could create. If I'm planning on a standard rate of descent until reaching 10K and all of a sudden that rate decreases while descending through 12K, we have a potential for inadequate vertical separation which earns me a trip to the QA office. Fool me once.......

Bill
Back to top Go down
GrizzW
Captain
Captain
GrizzW

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Good point.   I think its time  EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:56 pm

I truly understand what you're saying. But now that you have mentioned this, can you give us a good procedure that we can follow in our flights? Not using ATC, but I try to follow routes, sids, stars and approaches as best I can. Just a small 2,000 page treatise would be acceptable. Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Only kidding, but some real minute detail how we can pull this off without feeling guilty and be setting things up the way it should be.

Kind Regards
Capt. Grizz
Back to top Go down
Rexbo
CHIEF QA ASSURANCE
CHIEF QA ASSURANCE
Rexbo

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:27 pm

I'm sure I'll be first to figure out 'what not to do' Smile and I'll be able to share it with others Smile
Back to top Go down
sk5ktiger
CHIEF PILOT
CHIEF PILOT

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 10:00 pm

If I understood Bill's post correctly - a sizeable "IF" - the procedure for an MCA/AWVA 752 would be to descend at M0.78/300kias - your exact numbers may vary! - to 10K - don't forget to reset the altimeters on the way down thru FL180! - decel to a max of 250kts - 220 to 240 kts would be more usual, with 220 being used if you're inbound direct to the IAF or already in or on top of the airport traffic area, and then continue descent if/when cleared to a lower altitude. A/C with FMS/FMCs will often reset the speed target to 250 or less if approaching 10K and descending through, but often have inadequate anticipation to accomplish the decelleration before busting through 10K without help from the pilot, and if you pop the boards you are still going to put a flat spot in your descent profile...which seems pretty much unavoidable, whether ATC intends it or not. In addition, that automatic feature goes inop if you use FLCHG or V/S override to hasten your descent/comply with ATC instructions, so it's back to square 1. Especially as ATC is seldom so considerate as to time a descent instruction with your vnav's T/D.

I've never really had a problem with VATSIM - they mostly understand the situation - but FS's canned ATC will carp at you a bit. Fortunately, they won't hurt your rating. If going 'as if' without the bother of the blather, I'd say the flat spot is what it'll have to be.
Back to top Go down
Dogcreek
Council President
Council President
Dogcreek

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 5:39 pm

The airspeed penalty has been activated. It is -1.5 points so it is not huge.

Jeff rendeer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I think its time  Empty
PostSubject: Re: I think its time    I think its time  Empty

Back to top Go down

I think its time
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NOTAM Forums :: Northlink Virtual Airlines :: IMPORTANT NOTAMS-
Jump to: