NOTAM Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NOTAM Forums

Pilot Forums

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON

Go down 
+2
op4spot
GrizzW
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GrizzW
Captain
Captain
GrizzW

NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON Empty
PostSubject: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 7:27 pm

NOTAM: "In Session" getting started for NLA pilots.

NorthLink Virtual is in the process of starting a unique program that could be quite valuable to all Sim pilots who wish to further their knowledge, emersion and enjoyment in the Flight Simulator world.

In the past week or so we have set up an area in Team Speak called “In Session”. This is a password protected area that will allow an instructor to teach in an unobstructed area. This area is designed as a “one on one” for specific instruction. It would also be used as an “instructor to many” area. For example: Instructor gives a session on how to read, interpret, and realistically fly a SID plate.

Here’s how it would work: You, as an interested pilot might want to know more, in a general way, how to look a any chart or specific ones. They would be listed and taken, probably, one at a time with and “in session instructor”. Beats a video, because for me, in the video, they never seem to answer “Well, what does that little thing over there mean?” I don’t think this would happen with a live instructor at the other end of aTeam Speak session.

These are just some thoughts as to how we are starting.

You need:

Download, install and set up Team Speak on your computer.
Download Team Viewer 7, install and set it up.
Both are free programs. If you’re just starting up, there are fellow pilots here at NLA who are willing to assist you getting set up and started. Just post your interest here on the forum.

As always, topics from you and the training you wish partake are the utmost importance as to where we need to go with this “In Session Training thing”.

The first part that I will be participating in will be Beginning Ifly FMC Minimal get started. I will also offer orientation for the new Ifly pilot. Just got you plane, and just want a quick start? This session would get you started. You might still have to read the manual though.

That’s it for the moment. Look here for announcements for “In Session”. What’s coming up and also please leave a post as to what topic you would like to see us do for an “in session” training. It’s designed for all our pilots here at NLA.

Kind Regards
Capt. Grizz
Back to top Go down
GrizzW
Captain
Captain
GrizzW

PostSubject: SIDS and STARS "In Session" Wednesday 7:00 p.m. Pacific DST   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:18 am

“In Session” SIDS and STARS training scheduled for this Wednesday night at 7:00 p.m. (Pacific DST) on Team Speak “In Session” bracket. Password is 348.

Here is a list of the class materials to be used at the ”In Session” Training.

KSLC -- LEETZ TWO DEPARTURE (RNAV)

KLAS -- TRALR FOUR DEPARTURE (RNAV)

KSEA – CHINS SEVEN ARRIVAL

KDEN – DANDD FIVE ARRIVAL

You can get these plates at the Flight Aware website or any other place where you normally would pick up your IFR information.

NLA 357 Senior Captain Bill M will be the instructor. He is also NLA’s Chief of ATC. We look forward to him sharing his experience and expertise. He might even have a couple of good ole RW ATC stories for us as well.

Kind Regards
Capt. Grizz
Back to top Go down
op4spot

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 pm

Sounds great! Unfortunately I have a night cross-country flight that evening. I did purchase the PMDG 737NGX today and am having a blast breaking stuff in it! I look forward to getting in on some of these classes. Is there any freeware that will build flight plans for you? I know alot of you use a payware version, "cant rem the name of it" but you know budgets... Thanks again for the effort being put in here!
Back to top Go down
Dogcreek
Council President
Council President
Dogcreek

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi Eric!

Yeah great stuff coming huh? Anyway... Here is one... a free flight planner.. see what you think. I have not used it so not sure if it will do the trick

Jeff rendeer

Link to program - You must be logged into the forums

OK, I tried it and the route is pretty accurate... sample below

Computed route from SPOKANE INTL (KGEG, KG) to YELLOWKNIFE (CYZF, CY): 10 fixes, 922.0 nautical miles

Cruise altitude between FL270 and FL330
KGEG (0.0nm) -DCT-> YNY (191.7nm) -J550-> MALPY (224.4nm) -J550->
ROFFO (355.2nm) -J550-> YQU (461.7nm) -J526-> YOJ (674.4nm) -J526->
HOGAR (724.3nm) -J526-> FADIM (768.9nm) -J526-> YHY (816.8nm) -DCT->
CYZF (922.0nm)

Details:

ID FREQ TRK DIST Coords Name/Remarks
KGEG 0 0 N47°37'08.50" W117°32'06.80" SPOKANE INTL
YNY 115.2 325 192 N50°40'39.66" W118°56'21.19" ENDERBY
MALPY 339 33 N51°13'20.70" W118°57'04.26" MALPY
ROFFO 338 131 N53°24'00.03" W119°00'04.48" ROFFO
YQU 113.1 337 107 N55°10'26.95" W119°01'48.92" GRANDE PRAIRIE
YOJ 113.3 353 213 N58°33'15.34" W117°05'34.86" HIGH LEVEL
HOGAR 350 50 N59°21'18.74" W116°39'39.72" HOGAR
FADIM 350 45 N60°04'13.22" W116°15'24.32" FADIM
YHY 113.9 349 48 N60°50'10.56" W115°48'11.77" HAY RIVER
CYZF 355 105 N62°27'46.93" W114°26'25.44" YELLOWKNIFE

Tracks are magnetic, distances are in nautical miles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogcreek.allwebco.com/index2.html
op4spot

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 8:26 pm

That looks great, thanks! Once I get a few fav routes built and they work I will post them up if anyone else wants to use them. Not sure if there are others here that struggle with this as I do. With the number of routes we have it would be tough to do but it would be cool if we had prebuilt company pref routes for each flight built into the forum or site... Maybe as time allows this is something I could do for the VA if it would be helpful?
Back to top Go down
Chris Johnson NLA349
CHIEF of ROUTES and DISPATCH OPS
CHIEF of ROUTES and DISPATCH OPS

Location : PANC - 6'-Under getting Higher • Thanx to a Great Crew and Virtual Airline ~ NorthLink ~

PostSubject: NLA ~ 1st In Session 3-21-12 ~ BIG SUCCESS & All who attended Learned Something ~   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 1:46 pm

NLA ~ 1st In Session 3-21-12 ~ BIG SUCCESS & All who attended Learned Something ~

• • I wish to thank Bill M, our well seasoned and retired, real world Air Traffic Controller for his GREAT presentation,
    NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON !!!!_thank_you
    instruction and gracious answers for a few of the novices who attended.
NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON !!!%20read
    • • Also a Appreciation for those 7 pilots, who attended ~ our 1st but Not Last ~ In Session Exclusive Training. ( not to bad 7 of 16, of our rooster )
    Dave • Ralph • Grizz • Bill • Jeff • John • Chris, we ALL Learned a little and alot sunny sunny

Here at NorthLink Virtual Airlines, we have a CLASS of PROFESSIONAL, well rounded experience of many Great Talents / Wealth, among our Staff and Pilots
this is Unique in the VA world. With some awesome tools (more a com'n), we provide help and great training. study study

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Very Happy Laughing Again Mucho THANX ~ for a Great Job & a Awesome Crew of People ~ including (not wealthy< grins >) Grizz, for his incite & persistence of vision - in eduction ~
NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON !!!%20read
Back to top Go down
atc81
CHIEF ATC
CHIEF ATC
atc81

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks, Chris.

It was my pleasure to try to add some ATC insight about the hows and whys of SIDS/STARS. I appreciated the input and questions by all....it was a great experience for me and I hope to be asked to do it again in the future.

Thanks to all who were able to attend last night!

Bill
Back to top Go down
op4spot

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 4:59 pm

Hello Bill, I had a quick RL question for ya. I am a commercial student out of Billings and have heard that most ATC operators would love us new guys to come and do a tower walk and see how things are done from your perspective. I would love to do this as I think it would help me understand what I can do to make things as smooth as possible while in the controlled environment. As a student up here I get plenty of nasty weather flying exp but very little controlled airspace... I would like to set this up and I have both the apr and twr phone numbers but wasn't sure if using these numbers would be inappropriate for something like this. So basically should I use a non listed number given to me for emergencies, or is there some other way that you know of to contact them and ask? Sorry if this is a brain dead question but rather then ask the next time I am on their freq and look like a noob I thought I would just ask you! lol... Thanks and have a great weekend!

P.S. I am not asking you to look up any phone numbers or what not! lol... I was just wondering if in your opinion the numbers that I have would be safe to use for something like this. I just realized I could quite easily ask the instructor that gave them to me... Doh! It has been a long week...
Back to top Go down
atc81
CHIEF ATC
CHIEF ATC
atc81

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi Eric,

I wouldn't hesitate to call the BIL tower, identify yourself as a flight student, and ask if a tour would be possible. As long as elevated security procedures aren't in effect it shouldn't be any problem. I have a number for the tower manager's office 406-255-2751. I would try that one or any of the other numbers your flight instructor gave you. I am sure they will welcome your interest in seeing the "other side".

Bill
Back to top Go down
op4spot

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks, I will!
Back to top Go down
sk5ktiger
CHIEF PILOT
CHIEF PILOT

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi, Eric -

A tower visit is definitely recommended! I took a tour while I was working on my "Funny Little Clocks" rating, and it was a great experience!
Back to top Go down
op4spot

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 1:24 am

Funny little clocks? lol...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON   NOTAM:  IN SESSION BEGINS SOON Empty

Back to top Go down

NOTAM: IN SESSION BEGINS SOON
Page 1 of 1